Thursday, December 31, 2009

Rose Parade - Day 1

Phew! What a day!

We spent most of the day just making sure that all 60 students arrived in Los Angeles without a hitch. In the end, three missed our buses. Thanks to to our handy rental van which I've dubbed "White Lightening" (everyone else on staff calls it "Ho No!" because "hono" is part of the license plate number), we got them squared away. Two of them are missing luggage but hopefully it is en route.

We headed to the pavilion to check out the float. The students loved it! I'd post some photos of the decorating but to be honest, I didn't take any. Here's a video though that will give you some insight into how this thing is constructed. We also had a chance to hang out and enjoy some "In-n-Out Burger" for dinner (easily the best burger I've ever tasted!).

The best part of my day though was the kickoff meeting. When I walked in the room the students all clapped and were cheering my name. It was probably the most satisfying gesture that I could have received for what has been MONTHS of work on a very nerve-wracking project. I can't even describe it.

Tomorrow is "Media Day" and float judging/rehearsal. I've got to get to bed because 6:00 a.m. will be here before I know it!

No comments: